Friday, June 30, 2023

Over The River and Through The Woods Wall Quilt

 I bought the Over the River and Through the Woods quilt pattern many years ago while living in California.  After I moved to Texas, I purchased the fabric at several Texas shops and started piecing the quilt in 2017.  I copied the embroidery pattern onto the panel pieces and started to hand embroider the panels.  But this process was very slow.  Each year in the fall I would get the panels out to work on them, but when I realized I wouldn't complete them, I would put them away for the next year.  Finally in 2022, I decided I was going to finally finish the quilt.  I did complete the embroidery and assembled the quilt top.  But again, I was not able to do the quilting and so put it away.  I had hopes to hand quilt it and submit it to the Chisholm Trail Quilt Guild spring show.  But my husband Chris became ill in January 2023 and I was not able to complete it in time to meet the entry deadline.  So I decided to machine quilt it myself and at least have it ready to display for 2023 Thanksgiving month.  I did finish it in March 2023.  Sadly, Chris passed away April 20, 2023.  He will not see the quilt displayed.  I did show him the quilt when I finished it though.  I guess I will associate this quilt with his illness (acute renal failure) and death and remember him when I hang it each year.  He really liked the design.



Top panel closeup



Middle panel.  I quilted the treble cleft for music of "Over the River and Through the Woods."

Bottom Panel




Close up of flying geese

Close up of blocks and quilting.


No comments: